Last Updated 9/3/2020
Welcome to Snowball Wealth!
We’re here to provide you with tools and services that are designed to help you make financial progress. Before you get started, we’d like to tell you more about what we do with information we collect about you.
What This Policy Covers
That said, you should know that we may provide third party content or links to third-party web sites or applications, or include features that allow you to connect your Snowball Wealth account with your accounts with third parties, such as financial institutions or social media platforms like Facebook. When you leave our Services or interact with a third-party feature, you should also read the applicable third party’s privacy policies and terms of service to make sure you understand how they might collect and share information about you.
What Information We Collect
There are three main ways we collect information about you: when you give it to us, with automatic technologies and when we ask others for it.
Information You Provide to Us
You may provide information to us in various ways, such as through forms, features or other means offered through our Services. A couple of examples include information you provide to us when registering as a user, and feedback forms where you send us comments, questions, or other feedback. The types of information you provide us fits into two general categories:
- Personal Information: This is information that identifies you personally, such as your full name, street address, email address, or phone number.
- Non-Personal Information: This is information about you or your household that doesn’t identify you personally, like your gender, income or what types of financial products you’re interested in.
When we combine information that isn’t Personal Information (like Non-Personal Information or Usage Information, which we explain below) with Personal Information, we treat it like Personal Information for as long as it is combined.
Information We Automatically Collect
In addition to information you provide to us, we automatically collect certain information about how you access and interact with our Services (“Usage Information”). This Usage Information is a key part of how we improve your Snowball Wealth experience and provide you with more personalized insights and recommendations. We and our partners may use various technologies to collect and store Usage Information in connection with our Services. These may include things like cookies, browser web storage (e.g., HTML5), web beacons and similar technologies. There are three types of Usage Information we may collect:
- Device Information. This is information about how you access our Services, such as the operating system, hardware model, application or browser type and version, and unique identifiers associated with your device…
- Log Information. There are certain pieces of information we automatically collect in system logs or similar files about how you interact with our Services, such as which features you visit or click on. This Log Information may also include things like your IP address, browser or device configuration, date and time of access and cookie information.
- Location Information. We may use certain information like your IP address or other Device Information or Log Information to estimate your location (e.g., your city or state). We may also request to use location-enabled services on your device (which typically provide GPS or Wi-Fi access point details) to enhance our Services. We will only use these location-enabled services on your device with your consent.
Information Third Parties Provide About You
Many of our features rely on information about you that we collect from third parties, such as your student loan details . We may also work with different third party partners in the future to supplement the Usage Information and other information we collect directly from you. We might also collect information from other users like you through things like a user referral program.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect from you and third parties to operate our Services, communicate with you, conduct research and development to improve or enhance our Services and our users’ experience, and promote our Services. These are a few examples:
- To create your account and provide the Services to you. We use the information we collect to create and secure your account, create and maintain your user profile, and to provide the Services to you.
- To provide features to you, such as your free account summary. We use the information we collect to provide you with a free student loan summary. Snowball Wealth offers much more than a free student loan summary though; the information we collect will also go into developing and bringing you various other features like , tracking your emergency savings and personalized offer recommendations.
- To improve our recommendations and insights. The information we collect also helps us tailor our content and improve the way we match you to recommended offers or insights. We’re constantly working on ways to better identify and present the information that’s most relevant to you.
- To communicate with you. We use information we collect to provide you with user support or to send you things like service-related announcements, student loan monitoring alerts, recommendations, offers from our partners and other updates or promotions. Most of the time we’ll communicate with you by email, but we may also send you push notifications, browser notifications, or even snail mail. For information on how to adjust your communications preferences, check out the “Communications Preferences” section of this policy, below.
- To conduct research and to improve and promote our services. We use the information we collect to conduct research and to improve or enhance and promote our Services.
- For legal reasons. We reserve the right to access, use, preserve, transfer or disclose, at any time without notice to you, any information (including Personal Information) as reasonably necessary to:
- Comply with any applicable law, regulation, subpoena or legal process, or respond to any governmental requests and cooperate with law enforcement, if we believe such action is required or permitted by law;
- Enforce our Terms of Service, including investigating any potential violations;
- Protect the safety, integrity, rights or security of our users, our Services or equipment, or any third party; or
- Detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues related to our Services or our partners.
When We Share the Information We Collect
First, we want to be clear about how we do not share information about you:
- We do not share your student loan information with unaffiliated third parties (except agents acting on our behalf; we explain that below).
- We do not sell your Personal Information to or share your Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for their own advertising or marketing purposes.
We may share information about you, including Personal Information, with third parties in a variety of ways, such as:
- When we collaborate with third parties to provide and improve our Services. We may sometimes share information about you with third parties we collaborate with in connection with providing or improving our Services. This can occur, for example, when we’re doing a joint research project with another organization to help improve our Services. We may also share information like the feedback you submit to us if it relates to both our Services and a partner’s products.
- Our partners when you ask for their services. We may also give you opportunities to interact with third party partners through our Services, such as when we provide you with the opportunity to review and send your personal information to a partner in order to pre-populate your application on the partner’s site or we send you to the partner’s site for you to provide the information directly to them. In some cases, if you click through to go to a partner’s site, you will automatically be sending your personal information to that partner. When this happens, you will still have to submit your application on the partner’s site. Remember that any information you provide to the partner, whether through us or on your own, will be subject to their privacy practices and terms and conditions.
- When you publicly post the information. As part of our Services, we may provide opportunities for you to publicly post reviews, questions, comments, suggestions or other content, which may include Personal Information and portions of your user profile designated as public profile information, like your name or user name. Anything you share in a public forum is, obviously, public, so think carefully about what you decide to share. If you would like us to remove Personal Information included in Community Content, including our slack channel, contact us at [email protected]. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your Personal Information, but we will try to respond to let you know why.
- As Part of a Corporate Change. We may disclose and transfer information about you to a third party as part of, or in preparation for, a change of control, restructuring, corporate change, or sale or transfer of assets. If such a business transfer results in a material change in the treatment of your Personal Information, you will be notified by email (using the primary email address on your account) or by a prominent notice on our site.
- For Legal Reasons. We reserve the right to transfer or disclose information about you to third parties for certain legal purposes. (You can read more about these in the “How We Use the Information We Collect” section above.)
- With Your Consent. There may also be other limited contexts in which we share specific types of personal information with your express consent.
We may also share with third parties de-identified or aggregated data we collect, such as de-identified or aggregated student loan interest, de-identified demographic information, or information about the computer or device from which you access the Service. We share such information for a variety of purposes, including to analyze Service usage, develop shared services, and improve our own products and features.
How to Access, Update or Deactivate Your Account
Accessing and Updating Your Account Information
You are responsible for maintaining the accuracy of the information you provide to us, such as your user profile information. You can access and make changes to certain Personal Information by logging in to your account through our website and updating your “My info” page.
You can manage your communications preferences by emailing us at [email protected]. We’ll also include “unsubscribe” instructions in marketing emails.Technology moves fast, so the types of communications and communication preference options might change from time to time. We automatically add you to our mailing list when you sign up as a user.
Canceling and Deactivating Your Account
We hope this never happens, but if you decide you no longer want to use our Services, you can cancel and deactivate your account by contacting us at [email protected].
One more thing to note: Due to our recordkeeping and information retention requirements, we do not delete information about you upon deactivation. We will, however, disable your account and stop sending you further communications.
Our Interest-Based Advertisement Practices
Advertising Service Providers
Disclosure Regarding Google Analytics Advertising Features
In addition to services from other Advertising Service Providers, we use the following Google Analytics Advertising Features as part of our marketing analytics and advertising: Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, DoubleClick Platform integrations and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. We may also use other services provided by Google Analytics from time to time. At present, Google provides users an opportunity to opt-out of the Google Analytics Features through Google’s Ads Settings and their web browser opt-out plugin. However, we do not control these opt outs, which may be updated or removed by Google in accordance with its own policies. For additional information on opting out of interest-based ads by Google, you can visit Google’s Opt out page here.
Do Not Track Signals
At this time, we do not respond to automated signals regarding tracking mechanisms, including “do not track” instructions from your browser. Please note that blocking cookies may affect your browsing experience on many sites and may limit your ability to use certain features of our Services, including many of the personalized features we provide for our members.
Our Security Practices
Snowball Wealth maintains physical, electronic, administrative and procedural safeguards intended to protect the confidentiality of Personal Information that we collect about you
If you have any questions about security on our Services, you can contact us at [email protected]
Want More Information?
Thanks for taking the time to read through all this. If you have questions regarding this policy or privacy practices at Snowball Wealth, you can contact us at [email protected] or write to us at: Snowball Wealth, Inc. 139 North Eldorado Street, San Mateo, CA 94401.